The Ye Bull Penn Inn restaurant had several homes but in 1926 it was here- at 633 S. Hope Street, where it had been serving fish, chicken and charbroiled steaks in a rustic, masculine setting since 1920.
In April 1920, restaurateur/hotel man Charles Frederick DeLong bought the property at 629-639 S. Hope from the pioneer Sereno de Koch family and had architect William Lee Woolett design a quaint 1-story building that became the new home of DeLong’s Ye Bull Pen Inn, formerly located on W. 7th.
In March 1927 DeLong held the groundbreaking for his newest venture, the Mayflower Hotel at 533 S. Grand Avenue across from the new public library. When the hotel, designed by architect C.F. Whittlesey, opened in December 1927, DeLong moved the Ye Bull Pen into its ground floor along with another restaurant, the Mayflower Tavern. In May 1932 DeLong filed for bankruptcy.
But the Ye Bull Pen Inn lived on. With son John, DeLong opened the restaurant at various location starting in August 1932 at 8204 Beverly Blvd. (later the Hula Hut).
One thought on “Ye Bull Pen Inn”
Comments are closed.