6534 Sunset: Fred Thompson Building / Mary Helen Tea Room II / Gormet

 

In April 1927, local papers reported that Fred C. Thompson, cowboy star of Western motion pictures, would build as an investment property a commercial building on Sunset Boulevard next to the new Chamber of Commerce building, across the street from the Hollywood Athletic Club. Architect Henry Gogerty and set designe/architect Carl Jules Weyl designed  the sprawling 2-story Spanish shopping court, which was to contain 11 shops and 9 studio spaces, built around a patio courtyard. The latter was dubbed the “court of the Olive Tree” as it featured a fully-grown olive tree in the center.

Continue reading

5539 Sunset: Sunset House Restaurant

5539 Sunset Boulevard, between Western Avenue and St. Andrews Place, was designed by Shelby R. Coon in 1925 as an auto showroom, part of a cluster of automotive-related businesses built from 5533 to 5565 Sunset for E.F. Bogardus. Auburn dealer Wilshire Motors opened here in May 1926 amid a cluster of other auto-related businesses.

Continue reading