5539 Sunset: Sunset House Restaurant

5539 Sunset Boulevard, between Western Avenue and St. Andrews Place, was designed by Shelby R. Coon in 1925 as an auto showroom, part of a cluster of automotive-related businesses built from 5533 to 5565 Sunset for E.F. Bogardus. Auburn dealer Wilshire Motors opened here in May 1926 amid a cluster of other auto-related businesses.

From 1932 to February 1939 the building housed a neon clock and sign sales showroom.

In August 1939, restaurateur Adolph Remp applied for permit to remodel 5539 Sunset for a cafe. It was operating as “Sunset House” by December 1941.

Sunset House ad 12/15/1943

In February 1945, Sunset House was sited by the wartime Office of Price Administration (OPA) along with The Tropics (421 N Rodeo Dr. Beverly Hills), Lindy’s (3656 Wilshire) and the Trocadero (8510 Sunset) for violating meat rationing (red points) quotas.

2/22/1945. LAT.

Free of rationing restrictions, Sunset House enjoyed the postwar prosperity for several years. Its fixures and equipment were sold at auction on December 28, 1948.

Sunset House ad Christmas Eve 1946.

Sunset House ad 5/24/1947.

Sunset House auction 12/26/1948.

 

5539 Sunset became a television studio space and offices in 1949. Later sound recording facilities were added. In 1965 it was briefly the home of Impression Records.

The building, along with all others on the parcel (5533-5545), was demolished in 2003.