Just beyond the Sunset Strip was an equestrian trail, adapting the former P.E. right of way in the center of Sunset Boulevard from just past the western end of the Strip to the vicinity of the Beverly Hills Hotel.
groundbreaking ceremony for the Beverly Hills bridle path along Sunset Blvd. took place January 4, 1924. It was formally dedicated April 6, 1924 and opened to hoof-traffic ten months later, on January 10, 1925 with a horse show and gala hosted by the Bridle Path Association.
Though it never extended all the way to the sea as originally intended and was opened to bicycles in 1938, the path remained very much in use for horseback riders through the end of the 1940s.
On December 29, 1949, Bill Boyd (Hopalong Cassidy) led what would be the final Tallyho parade to traverse part of the path. In February 1950 an era came to an end when it was announced that the landmark path was to be replaced by a landscaped median.
One thought on “The Beverly Hills Bridle Path”
Comments are closed.