Located at 6225 Hollywood Boulevard on the north side of Sunset at Hudson, the Hollywood Athletic Club towered above its 1 and 2-story neighbors when it opened in 1924.
Sunset off the Strip
6480 Sunset: Travaglini’s
Located on the south side of Sunset Boulevard between Wilcox and Hudson, 6480 Sunset started out as an automobile showroom. The 1-story brick struture was built in 1923 and opened as the new home of H.W. Swanson’s Hupmobile dealership.
6460 Sunset: The Mary-Helen Tea Room
Mary Helen Kemp opened her first Sunset Boulevard tea room at the southwest corner of Sunset and Wilson on September 26, 1922.
6380 Sunset: Muller Bros Service Station
Brothers Frank and Walter Muller’s expansive automobile service business was at 6380 Sunset Boulevard on a 5-acre parcel that the brothers later told reporters their father Jacob had purchased in 1893 for $1500. It extended from Sunset to DeLongpre Avenue and along the south side of Sunset Boulevard from Morningside Court on the east to Cahuenga Boulevard on the west, as Ivar did not yet cut through Sunset.
6361-6365 Sunset: Hofbrau Gardens / RCA Building
This block, on the north side of Sunset between Cahuenga and Morningside Court was owned by Jacob Muller and later his sons Frank and Walter.
On December 28. 1902, the LA Times reported that “J. Muller has a commodious frame building nearly completed on Sunset Boulevard to be used as a butcher shop.”
6301 Sunset: Western Auto Supply / Wallichs Music City
Located on the northwest corner of Sunset and Vine and alternately addressed as 1501 Vine Street, this property belonged to retired toy air rifle manufacturer William F. Markham and his second wife Carrie. The Markham home was located near the southwest corner of the same intersection; Marham had built the Markham Building at 6372 Hollywood Boulevard at Cosmo Street in 1918 and also had numerous rental properties.
6300 Sunset: The Hood Building
Meet the Hood Building, aka The Building No One Ever Took A Picture Of On Purpose.
6290 Sunset: Pig Stand / Carpenter’s Drive-In
The Pig Stand drive-in was built on the southeast corner of Sunset and Vine in 1931 opposite the already-established Carpenter’s drive-in at 6285 on the northeast corner. Owners “California Pig Stands Inc. Ltd.” applied for a permit in August 1931. J.W. Stromberg was the architect. The permit for a roof sign was issued in September 1931.
6285 Sunset Part 2: NBC Radio City West
Alternately addressed as 1500 N. Vine Street, NBC’s Radio City West was located at 6285 Sunset Builevart at the northeast coner of Vine Street.
6285 Sunset Part 1: Carpenter’s Drive-In
The first Carpenter’s drive-in restaurant on Sunset Boulevard was located at the northeast corner of Sunset and Vine. This drive-in was demolished in 1937 so that NBC’s radio studio could be built on the site. NBC is covered in Part II. A new Carpenters opened across the street to the southeast corner at 6290 Sunset and has its own post.